Thursday, August 22, 2013

Assisting the Elderly

I, just like the chubby boy from "Up," have been in pursuit of my assisting the elderly badge!

Yesterday....I  earned my badge and will be having a pinning ceremony at
6 p.m. sharp, tonight.  No such pinning ceremony exists for adults, unfortunately, because how cool would that be?!

In the last two weeks I taught my 80 year old grandma how to use her Apple laptop...from the very beginning.  She didn't even know how to type!  With the help of ABCYa, the computer game my kids play, she was able to start typing and have fun doing it!!!

From there we worked on email...checking and responding and sending...and I uploaded a TON of pictures to her computer so she can see my lovely face every day (and everyone else in the family of course)!  My Grandma is PROOF that you are never too old to learn something new!






Now for my second endeavor!  Yes, I said SECOND...in two weeks!!!!  Ross and I made a trip down to beautiful Redwing, Minnesota to visit his Grandpa and Grandma Eppard.  Grandpa Eppard..almost 83 years old...recently published a book, A Heritage Not Forgotten, and the publishing company thought it would be a good idea for him to socialize a bit and promote his book.

That's where I come in!  I helped Grandpa set up a Facebook account and from there we created a business page promoting his book...check it out here!!
Great Grandpa teaching Natalie to ride her bike!
Since setting up the account, Grandpa and I have had quite a few phone conversations...after Grandma and the kids go to bed...and we have worked as a team promoting his book and getting him to understand Facebook a little bit better and connect with his followers.

This post is not a complaint.  This post is about joy!  I love it!  I love that I have the skills to put to use and help those who need it.  It is a wonderful feeling to be wanted and needed and appreciated and I am just glad that I am able to offer my social prowess to the ones I love!

How do you like to achieve your "badges?"

Have a good one...no...have a GREAT one!

Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment