Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Struggles of a Small Business

How do you make a business succeed?  More importantly, how do you make a business succeed from the ground up?  This is one of my biggest struggles lately and it consumes my thoughts.  I find that running a business from home has many highs and lows.  Like a high from drugs (I don't know from experience :),  it is only temporary and my low will last a week to a week and a half.  Then I have to pick myself up and get re-inspired.  It is so frustrating!  I am not looking for insta-success, I just didn't know it would be so hard.

The most gratifying part of running my own business is knowing when all the hours and hard work that I am putting into the business pays off.  I may only sell one greeting card, but that is one more card sold than the day before.  My other favorite part?  Reading all the positive reviews that potential customers leave about our products to my mom.  It is so nice to let her know that her work is appreciated and they can't wait to hand out her labels for gifts!  What an amazing feeling!  See...highs and lows!!!!  Lows and highs!

Right now I am focusing on ways to conquer the lows and stay more focused and driven on the highs.  Yesterday, I spent a good chunk of my day on www.craftcount.com, reviewing the top Etsy sellers in the paper products category.  This is not to copy what they do.  This is not to do business the way they do business.  I know what I want from CindyBlue Designs.  I just need a couple of really great references.  Companies who are established on Etsy, making sales, they have followers and they sell similar product lines to us.  What does that do?  It shows me that it is possible!  These people and what they do are my driving force!  I have only been in business for a year, but they make me not want to quit.  I can do this and I will not give up.  Success is possible.  Don't forget, success is not measured in dollars...it is measured in how you view yourself and your accomplishments!

I want to give props to Julie Ann, of Julie Ann Art.  She doesn't know me or my mom or what we do at CindyBlue Designs on Etsy, but she has been a huge inspiration to me.  You can check her out at www.julieannart.com.  I want to thank you Julie Ann for inspiring me and for reminding me not to quit when it gets hard.  I want to thank you for reminding me to laugh and conquer fears.  Thank you for what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment