Monday, August 19, 2013

DIY Monday: Bathtub Cleaner

I am the type of housewife who has a tidy house, but if you look a little bit closer, there are areas that do not get as much attention.  Number one...the bathroom.  I HATE to clean the bathroom.  I clean the toilet the most, for obvious reasons, but the bathtub is....forget it...I just don't clean it.  Once a month?  Maybe?

There are times when my in-laws are coming over to watch the kids and I think "Good Lord! I hope they don't give the kids a bath!"  Disgusting?  Yes!  Am I ashamed?  Heck no.  I have better things to do than clean my tub.  Until....my cousin Sara was over this weekend and told me that before her kids take a bath EVERY time, she sprays the tub with Tilex and wipes it out.  Cue the eye rolling.  Are you serious?  Every time?  I need to step up my game!  Between my thick hair, leg hair, Natalie's hair and whatever my husband has, plus the daily dirt of a three year old, I need to do better!

That is where this post is originating from.  I spent my weekend in search of the BEST DIY bathtub cleaner!  I found it!  I love it!  I will never go back!  It is so stinkin' simple and so stinkin' effective.  Are you ready for the ingredients?

Amazing Bathtub Cleaner

1.White Vinegar
2.Blue Dawn Dish Soap (I used the Target brand)



That's it!!!!  Totally Wicked!!  (We love The Incredibles in our house :)

Take 1/2 cup white vinegar and heat for 30 seconds in microwave.
Pour in spray bottle.
Add 1/2 cup Blue Dawn Dishsoap.
Gently mix together.
Spray, scrub, rinse clean!

My tub has not looked so clean in.....FOREVER!  Since we installed the tub and it was brand new!!

I don't have a "before" picture but just imagine soap scum and grime!

What do you love about DIY cleaners?  I think they are fantastic!  Enjoy your Monday!

Marianne

7 comments:

  1. I use the same ingredients for our tub cleaner, except I have it in a kitchen scrubber so when I'm in the shower, I start scrubbing :) Bonus, cleaning the shower while you are taking a shower = extra mommy time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Everybody and everything is getting clean!

      Delete
  2. Do you have to heat up the vinegar? Just curious if you can keep the cleaner on hand already mixed or if you have to mix it fresh right before you use it.

    ~Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only heated the vinegar the one time and once you mix up the ingredients it forms a gel. I just used it again for the second time and it worked just as well! The liquid forms a gel consistency and stays that way. No extra heating needing! Hope this helps! Happy cleaning!

      Delete
  3. Yesterday Iwas reading an article about many uses of vinegar and it makesme to curious to try it too .. Thanks for the DIY post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used this cleaner recipe too but I've since done away with Dawn and replaced with with baking soda and water. It works just as well! And if you're worried about the vinegar smell, you can soak citrus peels in the mixture for a week or two before using. :)

    ReplyDelete