Sunday, June 16, 2013

From Death...Back to Life

Happy Father's Day!  Considering that today is Father's Day, I thought what a perfect time to tell the story of my relationship with MY dad!

My dad was your typical dad growing up.  He woke early for work, was gone during the day, didn't change diapers...at night he played catch with us kids or we loved to play the games Chinese Checkers or Sorry!  He took us fishing, trips to Duluth to the zoo or train museum, ice cream, occasional camp outs in the yard...dad stuff! 


What makes my dad different from your dad?  He almost died when I was 15.  

My dad was in a snowmobile accident on December 28, 1997.  Our family was gathered in Andover, to watch some football and enjoy some after Christmas together-ness.  I never thought my life would change that day.  Dad hit his head and had massive swelling in his brain.  They rushed him to the hospital, where they operated and removed some bone in his skull to make room for the swelling.
   
The doctors didn't think he would make it through the night.  I have never been so scared.  The prayer chains were started...he survived that first night...the rest is a distant memory.  My dad came home on my parents anniversary...March 1st.  God is good.

The trials after my dad came home were BIG!  It took a lot of adjusting and refamilarizing ourselves with this "new dad."  I thought dealing with the possibility of losing my dad at 15 was hard...I was wrong.  The person who came home from the hospital was the hardest thing I ever had to deal with.  Time would tell.  God is good.

Fast forward to today.  My dad is still my dad.  The past is still the past.  Our lives were forever changed with his accident and injury.  We can make jokes and laugh about it now, but I never want to go back to those days.  I thank God everyday for the man that is my dad.  The man that my children call Grandpa.  The man that is here with us today.  He is a blessing.  He is my friend.  I couldn't ask for a better role model, someone who would give you the shirt off his back.  He taught me how to work hard and never give up.  I am thankful for every day that I get with him.  I am blessed to know such an amazing man, that I am lucky enough to call my dad.  I think my brother and sister and cousin Sara would agree. 

On this Father's Day, I want to say thank you to my dad.  I love you.  I want to say thank you to God.  Thank you for giving us one more day with him.  

Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment