Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Realization



Lying in bed last night, I came to this realization.  I'm getting older.  I know, I know...I'm only 31...almost 32...but I am getting older and I am ok with it.  What brought this shift in attitude?  Good question!  I think it has been a couple of different experiences in the last few days that made me realize I am ok with who I am.

Let's start with the obvious for me.  My mom stopped by the other morning and I was wearing matching flannel pajamas.  The first words out of her mouth were..."Oh my gosh, you are getting old.  I never thought I would see you in flannel pajamas."  My witty response?  "Excuse me?  These are from Victoria's Secret!"  In my defense, I had a migraine and they are comfortable.  Comfort trumps style most days for me.

Number 2.
I am now the wife who sits and listens to the police scanner at night while my kids are in bed and my husband is at work.  Once again, in my defense, my husband is a dispatcher and I like to hear his sexy voice, but I have learned more about 10-4's, 10-52's, and military time than I ever thought possible.  I have always known emergency medical because my husband started out as an EMT and then moved up to a firefighter and now he is also working for dispatch.  This is my way of always knowing whats going on!  Kinda creepy though?  Oh well.

Number 3.
Friday and Saturday nights mean nothing to me.  Remember back in the day when you lived for the weekend.  I am a stay at home mom and every day is the same for me.  Do you know what my Friday nights consist of typically?   Popcorn with M&M's and watching Hoarders.  There is just something about these people they profile on Hoarders that fascinates me.  How could they let it get so bad?  How could they not smell the rotting food?  How the hell do they not see the rats running through the trash on the ground?  THAT....is a whole lot of creepy!

Number 4.
I went to take Cinder out yesterday and there was a hot guy over at the neighbors house.  What was I wearing?  I of course was wearing said flannel pants and a black and white PINK shirt with a black fleece.  My hair was in its ever present pony with a wide black headband.   Did I mention I was wearing mis-matched shoes?   Did I freak out?  No!  I may have muttered an "Oh, shit" under my breath, but I went back inside, shook my head and went back to dancing with Eli.  Would this have bothered me a year ago.  Oh yes!  Today?  Not so much  What does this tell me?  I may be older in age but I am finally maturing in that age as well.

I am a very simple woman.  To be honest, there are many days I don't even wash my face.  Why?  Why wash it when you don't put anything on it but moisturizer????  I earn those booger smears and dog licks.  I shower every da...every two days :)!  I am a mom.  I stay at home with my kids.  I find great pride in that.  I also find great frustrations.  My kids are my greatest joy, but they drive me nuts.  That is why I love them.  They keep me young at heart.  I can act stupid and not feel stupid.

It is so refreshing to be able to finally be ok with who I am and know that I don't have to please anyone.  I am loved for who I am.  Not for how I look.  I like to look pretty some days.  Put on some makeup.  Shave my legs.  These things don't define me though.  Who I am inside defines me.  The faith I have in God, my love for my family, the love I get in return from them, and knowing that yes, I may be a little bit older, but thats ok!  I'm still me!  Here are some pictures of my every day loves...
Celebrating our anniversary last year


3 Generations

Eli and Natalie
The Girls

  
My Love



My Other Loves


No comments:

Post a Comment