Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm Starving!

These were the words of my baby sister Grace, right before she went in for her procedure last Friday.  One would assume, before a semi-scary heart procedure, that she would say "I'm scared," "Say a prayer," not, "I'm starving.  Can you bring me a sandwich?"  Only Grace!



 Let's back-track a bit.  A couple of months ago, we were informed that my sister had a malfunctioning A/V heart node.  She has actually had this condition for two years.  A heart node that misfires, was causing Grace to go into a panic attack like state.  Her heart would start racing as if she just ran a marathon and she would be to the point of passing out.  The problem was, the episodes were becoming more frequent and lasting up to 45 minutes.  If my sister and her husband ever wanted to have kids, something needed to be done!

Now to last Friday.  We (as in myself and my cousin Sara...comic relief!) arrived at Abbott Northwestern hospital in Minneapolis,  just as they were finishing getting Grace prepped.  After a few quick jokes about not sneezing when the doctor was fixing her heart...hahaha,  and four pokes later to get the IV in, we were saying our "goodbyes" and they were wheeling her away.


We then had a 2-4 hour wait.  What to do?  Candy Crush!  Table top checkers!  A little people watching!

My Cousin Sara


Sara and I decided to find the gift shop.  Just as we were about to get on the elevator, the elevator repairman stepped OFF and said...I quote..."If you want to risk it!"  What?  Sara and I looked at each other and we both decided to take the stairs.  The gift shop could wait.

Two short, laugh-filled hours later, Grace was out of surgery!  The procedure went perfectly and exactly as planned!

Relieved Husband!
 There is only a 1-2% chance that the condition can reoccur.  We all went in to see Grace, just as she was waking up.  Her response was "I feel like I just took a nap.  Do you have anything to eat?  I'm starving!"  Really?  That girl!  We gave her our kisses, told her we loved her and let her rest.  After three hours of bed rest, my sister was able to go home and everything looks great!  Thank you Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment