Sunday, December 15, 2013

Bacon Cheeseburger Soup

Did I just say bacon?  Did I just say cheese?  Um...yeah!

 

Trust me when I say, my husband is NOT a soup eater...until...I introduced him to my homemade, bacon cheeseburger soup!  Living in Minnesota and considering that is it -8 right now, and the ground is snow covered, I like to eat hot and hearty meals.  Chili gets a little old, so I needed a recipe to expand on.  I have shared my chili recipe, my enchiladas, and now for the soup!  Comfort food at its finest on this cold Sunday!!!

Introducing....

Bacon Cheeseburger Soup

1 Pound Ground Beef-Browned and Drained...Set Aside
4 Strips Bacon-Fried to Crispy and Crumbled...Set Aside

3 Medium Carrots...Peeled and Shredded...Hint...Food Processor!
2 Stalks Celery...Diced
1/2 Medium Onion...Chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley

6 Large Potatoes...Diced
3 Cups Chicken Broth
6 Tablespoons Butter...Divided
3-5 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour

1 1/2 Cups Velveeta
1/2 Cup Medium Sharp Cheddar...Shredded
Fresh Ground Pepper
Salt
1/4 Cup Sour Cream

It seems like a lot of ingredients, but trust me...they go together quickly! In a stockpot, brown the burger.  Drain and set aside.  Next fry up the bacon, until crispy.  Crumble and set aside.

In the same stockpot (we want all those great meat flavors!), you are going to melt 3 Tablespoons butter and sauté the carrots, celery, and onion.  Also add the basil and parsley.  Saute the veggies for roughly 10 minutes, until they are tender.

Add chicken broth, potatoes, bacon, and ground beef to the vegetable medley.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  You want the potatoes to be tender and soft!  No one wants to eat a semi-hard potato!

While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan, melt the remaining 3 Tablespoons of butter.  Add equal parts flour.  Using a whisk, stir mixture for 3-5 minutes, until the flour mixture is smooth and bubbly.  Add this to the potato soup.

Stir.  Bring to boil and reduce heat to low.  Mixture will thicken.  Stir in the remaining ingredients (minus the sour cream).  Stir constantly until cheese is melted.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Remove from heat.  Blend in the sour cream.

Serve with crackers, croutons, or fresh baked bread!
You will want to add this recipe to your winter-dinner rotation!!




No comments:

Post a Comment