Friday, December 13, 2013

Struggling Through Depression::Baby Steps

Baby steps.  That is how I plan to get through this.

Baby steps.  One day at a time.

Baby steps.

Since I first posted about my struggles with depression, I have had a lot of time to just "think."  Tuesday was a really tough day for me and my husband came downstairs to a blubbering mess on the couch.  He asked the basic question of what's wrong?  What can I do?  What makes you so sad?  I had no answer.  I didn't know.  That is when I realized I needed some serious time to think and pray to Jesus.  The next question he asked...will you dance with me?  I of course declined.  Nope.  Would.Not.Do.  He swept me in his arms and as we moved back and forth to no music, he whispered in my ear "I will get you through this funk.  I love you too much not to."

I have so much to live for.  I have no reason to be depressed, but yet I am.  That is the crazy thing with depression.

Baby steps.

I called my grandma, who has suffered from depression since my grandpa died.  I needed to talk to someone who truly understood.  She told me some great advice...
-do something for me.  Not something that is best for the kids or my husband.
-what makes Marianne happy.  Even if it is only ten minutes.
-yoga? crosswords?
-pray baby girl

Baby steps.

Yesterday morning I received the most loving email from Ross' grandpa.  He told me this, "Grandma and I sincerely love you and respect the person you are...You are a capable wife and mom.  You are experiencing the process all of us go through for God to mold us into the person He created us to be.  It is not a comfortable process, but a good one...I urge you to yield yourself to him and allow Him to have His way in your life.  His is always the best.  We think we can work things out, but He is better at working things into our lives."  Cue the tears.  What an amazing reminder.

Baby steps.

Here it is, now Friday.  I have had some great conversations and time to contemplate my situation, my life, my family and what I need to get through this struggle.  Depression is tough but it doesn't have to be forever.  This is what I have come up with for my baby steps:

-Pray.  I may not be involved in a church right now, but that does not change my faith in God.  When I pray, I am at peace.
-Cook.  I find joy in cooking.  I find joy in providing.
-Reading.  I love to read and this is something I would like to do more of.
-Treat myself to a hot bath.  Simple, yes!
-Surround myself with positive people who want to better my life and my situation.  Steer clear of the negativity and what makes me angry.
-Light a candle.
-Breathe.

Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment