Sunday, November 24, 2013

Our New Normal? Life as a SWAT Family.

Friday was the day.  The text came in.  Possible call out tonight.  What does that mean for me?  Instant panic attack!  My heart rate increased, I had rapid breathing and sweaty palms.  Is this what it's like to be married to someone on a Special Response Team (SRT)?

I didn't really know what to expect when my husband would be called out for the first time.  It is a waiting game.  Waiting for the warrant to be signed.  Waiting for the word "go."  To anyone else, this may not seem like a big deal.  Family caught word that there may be a "call out" and all they could say was "it's gonna be so awesome!"  After that, all I heard was guns and blah, blah, blah....  People forget that this is my life.  My husband is not just a man on SRT or a dispatcher, firefighter, or EMT...he is my husband and the father of my children.


Forget awesome.  You just said guns and awesome in the same sentence.  Thats all I heard.

My brother-in-law is a cop.  He has trained for everything my husband is doing.  My husband is a medic for SRT.  He is not a gun slinging, handcuff handling, taser wielding police officer.  He is a bandaid bearing, emergency kit carrying and blood clotting professional....who has to wear a bullet proof vest.  I trust the men who are covering him.  I trust the training that my husband received at Camp Ripley and trust that God will protect the men when the call does come out.  What I do not trust is the unknown.  The not knowing factor and the unpredictability of others.

So the next time you want to talk me and IN FRONT of my kids about how awesome it is.  Think twice.  I support my husband 100% in everything he does.  I love his passion and live for that.  The support doesn't remove the fear.  This is something I am learning.  When he was a worship pastor at a church, you didn't really have to worry about any of these issues.  As time goes on it will get easier.  I am excited for the experiences that will be presented to my husband but I am still a wary wife who has a lot to learn about trust, faith, and remembering always who is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment